Focus: Teresa of Avila, The Way of Perfection
Reading: The Collected Works of St. Teresa of Avila, Vol II, Kavanaugh and Rodriguez, “The Way of Perfection”, Ch. 21-25
Reflection Question (Meditate/Journal for a few minutes on this question and Scripture passage)
- How great is my resolve to persevere in prayer until reaching the end, even when work is involved or criticism arises? Mt 10:34-39.
- What two kinds of prayer did St. Teresa say her daughters needed?
- Did St. Teresa believe that the nature of mental prayer is determined by whether or not the mouth is closed? Explain your answer.
- What two exceptions does St. Teresa allow for abandoning mental prayer for a day or so?
- Of what value is the experience of God’s goodness, as opposed to knowing Him through faith alone?
- What advice does St. Teresa give to those who experience days of severe temptation in prayer?
- Can one be raised to perfect contemplation while reciting a vocal prayer? If so, how?