Reading: The Collected Works of St. Teresa of Avila, Vol II, Kavanaugh and Rodriguez, “The Way of Perfection”, Ch 40-42
Reflection Question (Meditate/Journal for a few minutes on the following statement and Scripture passages) Be prepared to share your reflections.
- Let me always keep in mind the hour of my death. How beautiful to arrive there having loved God above all things. Sir 35: 6-13, I Peter 1:17.
- Is my speech and behavior around others such that my presence contributes to their restraint? Is my company and conversation such that others will desire my manner of living? Prov 16: 21-24, Prov 25: 11-12
- What famous metaphor does St. Teresa use to describe our stay here on earth? Describe what this metaphor means to you in your own life.
- Teresa warns us to be most careful not to commit what kind of sins?
- In regard to speech, of what does St. Teresa warn us?
- What desire does St. Teresa say is a clear sign for contemplatives that the favors they receive in prayer are from God? What are the favors you have received in prayer?