READ: Story of a Soul Chapters seven and eight
REFLECT: Spend a few minutes with each of the following thoughts:
- St. Therese was grateful for the severity with which she was treated upon entering Carmel. What virtues can I gain from the same sweet acceptance of the hurts and affronts in my life?
- Therese desired to be counted as nothing, and unknown, but God exalted her. How many times have I resented being overlooked, ignored or disparaged?
- Have I ever had to wait for something special in my life? Did I react as Therese did, by better preparing myself, or with protests and resentment?
- Am I learning, as Therese did, to draw profit from everything that happens?
- What would it mean to me to offer myself as a holocaust to Divine Love? (or to Merciful Love) How would it affect my attitudes?
REPLY: Answer the following questions as briefly as you can:
- 1. What illusions did Therese have concerning life in the Carmel?
- 2. What great consolation did she receive upon making a general confession?
- 3. What was Mother Marie Gonzague‟s treatment of Therese?
- 4. Whom did Therese consider to be her spiritual director? Why?
- 5. Why was she attracted to the Holy Face of Jesus?
- 6. What were the saintly qualities Therese described in her aging father?
- 9. What special consolations did Therese receive at her Clothing?
- 10. What happened to Louis Martin one month after her Clothing?
- 11. What did St. Therese say became her “daily bread” at Carmel?
- 12. How did Therese react to having to wait eight more months until her Profession?
- 13. What did she learn about striving for perfection?
- 14. What great temptation did she experience on the eve of her Profession?
- 15. How did this change on the next day? What did Therese ask for?
- 16. What did her tears on this day make her realize?
- 17. How did she feel about Mother Genevieve? Who was she?
- 18. Did Therese have mystical dreams?
- 19. What was her attitude concerning the tact that she generally did not experience consolation at Communion time?
- 20. What experience launched her “full sail” upon the waves of confidence and love?
- 21. What did Therese say “gives birth to souls”? Citing which scripture?
- 22. What lesson did Therese learn from the flowers in her life?
- 23. How did she connect her father‟s holy martyrdom with Celine‟s entrance?
- 24. After this, what was the sole attraction for Therese?
- 25. How did she experience the presence of Jesus within herself?
- 26. In what special way did she offer her soul to God?
- 27. What effect did she experience from this formal offering?
Make three personal resolutions in connection with the material you read in this lesson, and write them here in a brief form: