Focus: Teresa of Avila: Book of Her Life
Candidates for Definitive Promises Facilitator: Diane
Reading: The Collected Works of St. Teresa of Avila, Vol I, Kavanaugh and Rodriguez, “Book of Her Life,” Chapters 37 and 38
#1. Teresa describes a time of severe spiritual drought.
- Describe the condition she experienced.
- How does Teresa’s experience help us handle a similar, personal situation.
#2. In this chapter, Teresa writes (as she has done in her other works) that she does not fear death and
actually desires it. How should we understand these words?
#3. Like Elijah of old, Teresa was called by God to deliver a message.
- Describe the details of this directive from God.
- Compare this directive with that received by Elijah and described in the Book of Kings.
#4. Teresa describes a vision from God that left her disturbed and confused.
- Describe this encounter.
- What does Teresa want us to learn from her experience?