Formation Information for Apr 11 , 2015
Assignments for April 11, 2015
Class Teacher Content
Aspirants Pam/Cindy Vocation and Discernment
Welcome to the Secular Order of Discalced Carmelites, by Deeney, pp 9-37
For Further Reading: “ St Teresa and the Vocation to a Life of Prayer”, pp. 35-46 as posted on website
Questions for Reflection and Discussion as assigned
- Father Deeney describes six elements that should characterize a member of the Secular Order of Our Lady of Mount Carmel. Take each element, describe/define it, and then evaluate yourself in relationship to that element.
- Looking over your evaluation, do you think you have a vocation to Carmel? In what areas do you see need for growth and further understanding?
- What are the six obligations that the Constitutions envision in the life of the Secular Order member?
- Father Deeney writes that if you want to be a Carmelite, the six obligations are required. “It is a sacrifice to do these things every day, to have this as a rhythm in your life. It takes time and commitment and leaves little time for other groups.” (p.36) Have you started to incorporate these obligations into the rhythm of your life? If not, what is holding you back? Are you wiling to commit to the sacrifice that being a secular Carmelite entails
Candidates Marianne Living Flame of Love, by St John of the Cross
Br Bryan Collected Works of St. John of the Cross, Ed. By Kavanaugh and Rodriguez, Living Flame of Love, Stanza 4
Professed Cindy (Carried over from Feb, 2015)
Collected Works of Edith Stein, The Hidden Life, pp.1-17
For Further Reading
Collected Works of Edith Stein, The Hidden Life, Preface,
Selection, and Subject Matter of Contributions
- What new perspective on Carmel did Edith’s work give you?
- What new or fuller perspective did you have on the liturgical prayer of the church?
- Discuss your understanding of the soul in solitary prayer as related to prayer of the church, especially in your own life
- How do you/should we specifically translate that prayer into action?
Visitors N/A N/A